No review found! Insert a valid review ID.
Where is the original La Paz Batchoy in Iloilo City? If you ask the tourists, you’ll probably get a lot of answers – Ted’s, Deco’s, Netong’s, among others. But for most of the locals I’ve asked, the original La Paz Batchoy comes from no other than Netong’s.
For those like me who didn’t know until I got there, La Paz is actually one of the seven districts of Iloilo City, in the Philippines. So technically, La Paz isn’t a way of cooking, but a name of a place.
Moving on… I was more than excited to eat some Batchoy during my quick stay in Iloilo. Batchoy is a noodle soup made with pork organs, crushed pork cracklings, chicken stock, beef loin, and round noodles. Sounds unhealthy, I know. But totally worth it.
So I head on to La Paz Market and find my way to Netong’s. The place is air-conditioned. For an eatery that’s found in the market, I find this luxurious.
Upon arriving, we were greeted by two lovely ladies and was asked for our orders. They can tell that we’re tourists (well, we kept on taking photos), and from the looks of it, they’re already used to a flock of tourists visiting them.
Their menu consisted of:
- Special – P55.00
- Super Special – P70.00
- Extra Special – P80.00
- Miswa Batchoy – P70.00
- Bihon Batchoy – P80.00
- Sotanghon Batcoy – P80.00
- Linaga – P40.00
- Arrozcaldo With Egg- P15.00
I ordered “extra special,” because I thought, “I don’t come here that often. Might as well make the most out of my visit.” Typical of me! Anyway, We waited for about 10 – 15 minutes to get our orders. The verdict? A++!
Here are some of my thoughts while eating Netong’s Original La Paz Batchoy:
- The soup is oily, but that’s kind of expected.
- The noodles they used is something else! I’m used to the bland taste of the noodles used in the Batchoy in Cebu, but the one from Netong’s is super tasty (in a good way).
- There wasn’t a lot of pork organs in my serving, but it was okay, for I was super enjoying the noodles.
- I needed more pork cracklings though. I wish there was an add-on to that. I could’ve asked, but I was too hungry to inquire.
If you’re visiting Iloilo anytime soon, make sure you drop by La Paz Market and taste Netong’s Orginal La Paz Batchoy yourself.
Netong’s Original Special La Paz Batchoy
La Paz Public Market, Luna cor. Huervana st.,
La Paz, Iloilo City
(033) 396-9449 | (033) 396-2189
Visit them from 7:00am to 7:00pm